Saturday, October 22, 2011

Blue Skies

There's no denying it, summer is on it's way. It isn't my favourite time of year but it is very nice being able to get washing dry quickly. I'm so good at finding the silver lining.


I took these photos yesterday on my way back to the library from School for Seniors where I gave a talk. This group of older men and women loved having a play with my e-readers and Daisy player. I'm sure they all rushed to the Apple shop on the way home to pick up an iPad.


What I'm reading: The Churchills by Mary S Lovell. She wrote the fabulous biography of the Mitford girls that I read a couple of years ago. She isn't exactly branching out here as the Mitfords were cousins of the Churchills but she doesn't need to mix it up because I love reading about this era (these eras, really) and find the wacky British aristocracy fascinating. I read Pat Barker's Life Class, set during WWII. I didn't enjoy it as much as her Regeneration Trilogy, largely because it wasn't as long so was over too quickly.
For book club we read Jamie Ford's Hotel on the corner of Bitter and Sweet which I am sorry to say, we none of us liked terribly much. I quite like the title but found the book overwhelmingly underwhelming. Now we are reading Alain de Botton's How Proust can change your life which I read a couple of years ago and chose for the book club. At the end of year party last year, club members said they didn't like it! I said that there was no hope for them, it's a wonderful book, but I am very keen to see if I will love it as much now and what my own club members will think.
What I am watching: Apart from a little An Idiot Abroad before falling asleep, I have forsaken the television for books, card making and, for the moment, assignment marking. Procrastinating (I thought I had grown out of that) is also taking up time. I will finish these assignments by Monday and get back to the fun stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment