Thursday, July 5, 2012

Le Tour de France



I may be the least sporty person in the world. I'm no good at sport and I don't enjoy watching it. It's more than a lack of enjoyment, most sports I really couldn't watch, even if I was paid. But, there is just something about le Tour. I first started watching it five years or so ago. I watched it because Andrew enjoyed it and I liked Gabriel Gaté's Taste le Tour. Then, I came to see it as a tour through the French countryside, past beautiful chateaux and historic villages. It was while watching le Tour that we decided to go on our overseas trip.

Last year was a turning point, of course, when Cadel Evans won. He's a flawed hero - disconcertingly high voice, bum chin and bum forehead and a tendency to whinge a wee bit - but he's Australia's flawed hero. You see, now I love the awesome setting, historical aspects and interesting characters. The baddies like Andy Schleck (such arrogance!), the battlers like Voeckler and friendly souls like Jens Voigt. I even love the SBS commentators.

I can't believe Mum and Dad were actually there yesterday! One day, that will be us.

1 comment: