Sunday, November 17, 2013

Chris Tucker is following me

After Bethany's nasty night of illness last week, she and I spent a quiet day in the rumpus room. She watched a lot of DVDs and I tried to have  nap in a beanbag and keep Bethany hydrated. I do not recommend the Hydralite ice blocks in the blackcurrant flavour. Bethany says she would rather be sick than  eat those. While Bethany watched Anne of Green Gables for the first time (she loved it, which is lucky because something would be wrong if she didn't!), I watched Silver Linings Playbook on my laptop.

On the library's book club Facebook page, my friend Anne had shared a Tumblr post about hating the endings of books. My favourite gif was from Silver Linings Playbook where the fellow closes the book, swears and throws it out the window. That pretty much sums up how I felt at the end of Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance - the most depressing book I ever finished. Anne recommended the movie so I borrowed it from the library.



The film was a bit bleak, but I enjoyed seeing Chris Tucker, after I worked out where I knew him from. Chris Tucker plays Ruby Rhod in one of my favourite movies, The Fifth Element. A few days later, Andrew, who did not watch Silver Linings with me, decided it was time to initiate Joss into the joys of The Fifth Element, which we haven't watched for years.

Ruby Rhod

We tried to enthuse Joss by telling her that Bilbo (Ian Holm) and Sirius Black (Gary Oldman) were in it, but she wasn't overly impressed by that. She tolerated the movie, in that singular, teenaged way where I think she really liked it but didn't want to show animation. She was impressed enough by Chris Tucker to look him up online, once the movie was over. I turned the DVD off and whose face should appear on screen but Chris Tucker's?! Rush Hour, with Jackie Chan, was on! I'm not up for a Jackie Chan movie, I'm afraid, but it was all a bit spooky. I haven't even thought about the man for years and then see him three times in one week!

1 comment:

  1. I have a generational problem with all of this! Understand though that you guys like it all!

    ReplyDelete